HPE announces HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud: supporting network scalability without the need for overprovisioning, and driving greater service agility
- With HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud, Communications Service Providers can consume telco-grade infrastructure and software to build and operate a telco cloud through a pay-as-you-go hybrid cloud consumption model.
Designed to allow Communications Service Providers (CSPs) to rapidly rollout new revenue-generating 5G services, aligning investment to revenue, and without necessitating replacement of existing network infrastructure, HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud enables them to consume both telco grade infrastructure and software in a flexible pay-per-use model. Bringing the value of the HPE GreenLake edge-to-cloud platform to CSPs, HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud helps telcos address the dual challenges of reducing capital expenditures while enhancing their networks for new revenue generating workloads.
For decades, managing a telco network was largely a matter of deploying and integrating hardware appliances. Today, operators increasingly find themselves navigating a multi-layered software-driven world, each with their own provisioning, orchestration, and assurance functions. This revolution began with disaggregation and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) in core networks and is now expanding across the telco footprint to the RAN, and out to the telco edge. To implement this “dynamic telco cloud,” they need to solve business, process and technical challenges they haven’t had to contend with before.
The telco cloud on your terms
HPE can help operators tap into telco cloud flexibility and efficiency without the complexity, and without locking themselves into closed platforms. HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud is built on telco-grade infrastructure and incorporates the latest networking technologies from HPE strategic partners in a cloud-centric architecture. It enables telcos to define and deploy new services faster, at lower cost, and with lower risk.
The configurable HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud offering can include one or more of the following components, deployed as a private cloud on customer premises, co-location partner sites or as a hybrid cloud:
- Telco-grade cloud infrastructure built around pre-defined blueprints: HPE offers a full portfolio of state-of-the-art infrastructure (compute, storage and networking) — optimized for telco workloads, and tested to strict global telco industry standards. HPE Telco Blueprints provide CSPs with pre-integrated, open, multi-vendor solutions that reduce complexity and accelerate time to market.
- Hybrid cloud platform: HPE GreenLake for Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform delivers self-service management of containers across edge, data center and hybrid cloud environments.
- Simplified Telco Cloud management: HPE’s full portfolio of OSS/BSS management software including HPE Service Director and HPE NFV Director makes it easy for telco customers to deploy service and network functions optimally from edge to core.
- Robust partner ecosystem and open infrastructure management: Leveraging multi-vendor cloud flexibility doesn’t have to be complicated. Our mature partner ecosystem and pre-tested, pre-configured multi-vendor telco blueprints, enables customers to easily integrate with a wide range of leading third-party applications and platforms.
Dynamic creation and delivery of new services
HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud will reduce the up-front capital expenditure and complexity of managing a multi-vendor network, with new software options set to be added that will simplify the creation of new 5G and edge services.
At Mobile World Congress, HPE will be demonstrating enhancements to its Telco Cloud proposition to include HPE’s network and service orchestration tools along with telco grade servers optimized to run SRv6 based virtualized networking software from Arrcus and Isovalent. In combination, the solution will create a unified SRv6-based mobile user plane with the ability to transparently automate service setup and tear-down across existing heterogeneous multi-vendor data center and transport networks.
This will allow operators to define and create new services without the need for manual work orders to drive changes to their infrastructure; reducing operational complexity and creating a more dynamic, virtualized, software defined telco network on top of existing transport network infrastructure.
Circular economy and financing
In addition to helping customers solve the technical challenges of a telco cloud, our solutions are created to help operators realize untapped value from their technology estate with buy-back and upcycling, helping to responsibly remove & upcycle or recycle inflexible legacy hardware from the network, whilst releasing capital to create new opportunities for long-term growth. Last year, over $1.3 million were returned to customer budget every working day with HPE Asset Upcycling and HPE Accelerated Migration solutions.
HPE Financial Services and HPE Asset Upcycling Services can help you migrate to modern, efficient infrastructure (including recently announced on-site decommissioning services available in over 30 countries) as part of the HPE GreenLake for Telco Cloud offer.
Our two HPE Technology Renewal Centers (TRCs) in Scotland and Massachusetts, in combination with a global network of trusted partners in over 80 locations, processed over 3.6 million tech assets in 2022, Over 82% were upcycled and returned to active use (up to 93% for servers) supporting the circular economy; with the remaining recycled to global standards.